Wednesday, August 18, 2010
MLS Week 20 Top Ten
1. Real Salt Lake - Time of possession and the hot streak of Javier Morales (two goals on Columbus) makes them the team to beat right now, which is good for defending champions.
2. LA Galaxy - Won their 2nd leg of Champions League but didn't advance on goal differential and won their last game against a DP heavy Red Bulls team. Stop freaking out on them; they'll be fine.
3. Columbus Crew - Lost pathetically to Real, but won with composure against a lame Guatemalan team, Municipal, in group stage competition. Still, they have a good chance to advance to the knockout round because their competition is Santos Laguna (who's pretty good), Municipal (HAHAHAH), and Joe Public (they're alright).
4. FC Dallas - Beat Phily 3-1 and DC United 3-1. Feasting on bad teams makes you awesome, but I'd hold off on calling them "hot" until they play a real team. They'll probably win their next game vs. Chivas, but the game after against Columbus should determine if they're for real.
5. Seattle Sounders - Beat Houston 2-0 and tied against a tough streaking team like Chivas. I think the Sounders will give teams trouble in the playoffs because they have grit.
6. NY Red Bulls - They have Theirry Henry (F), Angel (F), and Marquez (D), yes barely beat Toronto and ate cock against the Galaxy when Marquez showed why he doesn't play for Barcelona anymore. I think the Red Bulls are fool's gold. You have old fucks playing in a league of high physicality. Death.
7. Chicago Fire - Nery Castillo helps them win 2-1 over a surging New England team. These guys are for real, be very afraid once Castillo, Brian McBride, and Freddie Ljungberg start gelling and don't kid yourself, it's coming soon.
8. San Jose Earthquakes - They just picked up Geovanni as a DP from Hull City. Oh, you don't know them? They got him from Man City. He's legit and I'm actually surprised he's in the MLS. I'm actually concerned about San Jose now.
9. Toronto FC - Won 2-1 vs. a strong Cruz Azul team in Champions League. Actually, they were dominating until they gave up the 89th min goal to an awesome player in Christian Giménez. How the hell did they pull this off?
10. New England Revolution - Look, I know they don't seem that impressive at 6-10-3, but mark my words, they're making the playoffs and they'll be one of those teams that makes top seeds shit their pants.