1. When is a draft not just a draft? When it's a SUPERDRAFT! MLS had theirs yesterday, and the first overall pick is University of Akron sophomore Steve Zakuani. The expansion Seattle Sounders, who are owned by Price Is Right host Drew Carey, selected Zakuani, who led the NCAA with 20 goals last season. Toronto FC took Wake Forest midfielder Sam Cronin with the second pick, while the LA Galaxy went defense with Omar Gonzalez, a 6-5 defender who helped the Maryland Terrapins win the national championship last season.
2. A couple of days ago Real Madrid president Ramon Calderon, beset by his club's subpar performance and allegations of board room voting hoo ha, said he wasn't quitting. As seems to be the norm lately in the world of futbol (see Kaka, Man City), saying one thing one day pretty much guarantees you will be saying the opposite thing a couple days later. Real has a press conference today where it is expected that Calderon will be announcing his resignation. Calderon will probably be remembered most for saying he was going to bring Kaka, Cesc Fabregas, and Cristiano Ronaldo to Real, and ending up getting none of them.
3. The biggest Cinderella story of this European season is in Germany, where TSG Hoffenheim, promoted just this year, is tied for 1st in the Bundesliga with league titan Bayern Munich. TSG was dealt a severe blow today when they learned the B-liga's leading scorer, Vedad Ibisevic, will miss the rest of the season with torn knee ligaments. Ibisevic has 18 goals in 17 matches. Hoffenheim may be newly promoted, but they've got an owner with deep pockets who has and will continue to spend money on his club. Expect them to land a suitable replacement during the January transfer window.
TOP 5 (PTS/GP/GD)
1. TSG Hoffenheim 35/17/+19
2. Bayern Munich 35/17/+15
3. Hertha Berlin 33/17/+7
4. Hamburg 33/17/+2
5. Bayer Leverkusen 32/17/+15
14. Arminia Bielefield 14/17/-12
15. Karlsrhue 13/17/-17
16. Energie 13/17/-11
17. VFL Bochum 11/17/-11
18. Borussia M'gladbach 11/17/-11
1. Vedad Ibisevic, TSG Hoffenheim, 18
2. Patrick Helmes, Bayer Leverkusen, 12
3. Grafite, Wolfsburg, 11
4. Claudio Pizarro, Werder Bremen, 10
Milivoje Novakovic, Koln, 10
Artur Wichniarek, Arminia Bielefield, 10