Bob Costas interviewed NFL Czar Roger Goodell pretty much to defend the scrutany Goodell's been getting for being so easy on his friend's franchise and Bill Belicheck. Here were the main points of his defense (if I miss some, my bad, I'm doing it off memory and the interview just happened):
- Wade Wilson was fined 5 games because it was a 4 game auto suspension for unlawful activity (purchase/use of HGH), and he was given an extra game because Goodell feels that coaches should be held in higher standards than regular players.
- Belicheck was fined the most a head coach has ever been fined.
- A draft pick has never been taken from a team and will have a great effect on the Patriots.
- It is important for him for all 32 teams to know that there needs to be a level playing field at all times and his disciplinary action on Belicheck exemplifies this importance.
- If coaches are held to a higher standard, Pacman Jones was banned for a year for being accused of shit, not really being convicted. Pacman was really banned because he made the league look bad. Belicheck cheated. This makes the league look bad. If coaches are of a higher standard, you ban Belicheck for a season and one game.
- Yet Wade Wilson was fined $100,000 because he had erectile dysfunction which is a third of his salary. In comparison with cheating and manipulating the integrity of the game, cheating seems more serious than a coach using HGH because his use has no bearing on the integrity of the game. $500,000 is about right if he also added suspension time. Without suspension time, $500,000 is really nothing because Belicheck is rich and that fine is nothing.
- As Bob Costas point out (and Goodell dodged), the Patriots would lose their second of their first round draft picks which is much less significant than the first pick that they have from the 49ers since it's most likely the 49ers pick will be before the Patriots first pick. In order to send his message, Goodell should have taken both first round picks at least.
- Taking draft picks does nothing to warn the other teams to play on a level playing field. They'll just pick it up in free agency. Fining a coach is not a warning. He'll just go to the ATM with the kind of money Belicheck is making. Suspension is a warning. Sit at home while your team suffers. That will warn coaches that if you cheat, you sit at home, without pay hopefully, and watch your career in the hands of your assistant coaches.
NFL Czar can suck my dick. Look at Goodell's history of discipline: Pacman got pwnd. Chris Henry got pwnd. Tank Johnson got pwnd. Michael Vick got pwnd. They are all Black and all got suspended. Belicheck is not Black. Fuck you.